You don’t have to wait for the 14th of February for you to be treated /treat yourself to red velvet cupcakes.
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk (Mix 1 cup milk and 2 tbsp. of vinegar or lemon juice. Let it stand for at least 5 mins)
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. red gel food colouring ( or 2 tbsp. of liquid red food colouring )
- 3 tbsps. icing sugar for dusting*
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C .
- Line your cupcake pan with cupcake cases or oil your cupcake pans and dust them with a little flour.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and set this aside.
- Beat together the eggs and the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add the oil and the vanilla essence to the egg mixture. Mix until combined.
- Alternatively add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the egg mixture. Mix till combined.
- Combine the red food colouring with the vinegar. Mix this into the cupcake batter.
- Fill each cupcake case about ¾. Bake for 17 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool for about 5 minutes then take them out of the cupcake pans. Let them cool completely then dust with icing sugar
* If you’re up for the cream cheese frosting, here’s a link to a great recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/red-velvet-cake/12416/